DuPont Celebrates Excellence in Teaching, Partnerships and Innovative Engineering
12 Teachers and STEMConnector® Honored at Annual Science Education Conference
WILMINGTON, Del., April 3, 2014 – Today at the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) annual conference in Boston, Mass, DuPont is recognizing 12 STEM (Science, Technology, Education and Mathematics) and AgriScience teachers for teaching excellence; and partner organization STEMConnector® for advancing science education. DuPont will honor the award winners and recognize the impact of great teachers at a dinner held at the Boston Museum of Science.
“Many of the scientific and engineering achievements that make our lives better would not be possible without educators who inspire young people to become scientists, technicians, engineers and mathematicians,” said Karen A. Fletcher, vice president, DuPont Engineering and Chief Engineer. “At DuPont, more than 10,000 scientists and engineers collaborate with partners around the globe to meet challenges such as providing enough food for a growing population, building a secure energy future and protecting both people and the environment. We are proud to partner with educators to build a pipeline of talented young people who can apply their skills collaboratively to solve some of the world’s most pressing problems.” Fletcher will give a keynote speech at the DuPont dinner, which will be attended by more than 200 science educators, business and foundation leaders.
DuPont supports STEM education through a range of programs and grants for teachers and students. In addition to hosting a number of professional development sessions at the conference, NSTA is a strategic partner in promoting excellence and innovation in science teaching and learning. DuPont collaborates on a variety of NSTA projects and programs by sponsoring conference workshops, short courses and the DuPont Challenge Science Essay Competition. This year DuPont provided 75 grants to science teachers from across the country including 12 communities where DuPont has facilities to attend NSTA’s annual conference. To date, DuPont has sponsored over 6,000 teachers at the annual NSTA conference.
Recognized teachers include:
- Sara Clark, recipient of the Christopher Columbus Foundation Fellowship Agriscience Educator Award
- Timothy Dalby, Presidential Awardee for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
- Teacher Winners of the 2013 DuPont Challenge Science Essay Competition: Elaine Gillum, Jennifer Gordinier, Gupta Kavita, Nga Ngo, Chris Hiller, Jonathan Bowns and Angela Weeks
- Alissa Smith, George Washington Carver Mentoring Excellence Award
DuPont will present two awards to recognize the importance of agriculture and the vital role of agriscience teachers:
- George Washington Carver AgriSCIENCE Teacher’s Award will be presented to Wes Crawford, agriscience teacher, Sutherlin High School, Sutherin, Ore., by Jay Jackman, executive director of the National Association of Agricultural Educators. This award recognizes the member of the DuPont National AgriScience Teacher Ambassador Academy (NATAA) who demonstrates and advocates inquiry-based science teaching and inspires students to pursue science excellence. The award also honors George Washington Carver (1864 -1943), agricultural scientist, researcher, inventor, teacher and mentor of Henry C. Wallace, founder of DuPont Pioneer.
- The second award, DuPont Pioneer Excellence in Agricultural Science Education Award winner Angie Midthun-Hensen, from Verona, Mich., also will be recognized at the NSTA Teacher Gala during the week.
The 2014 DuPont Collaboratory Partnership Award will be given to STEMConnector® for being “The One Stop Shop for STEM Information” and forming a Food and Ag Council. The goal of the Council is to promote STEM education and workforce development required to feed 9 billion people by 2050. This annual award honors organizations that partner with DuPont to advance science education.
DuPont (NYSE: DD) has been bringing world-class science and engineering to the global marketplace in the form of innovative products, materials, and services since 1802. The company believes that by collaborating with customers, governments, NGOs, and thought leaders we can help find solutions to such global challenges as providing enough healthy food for people everywhere, decreasing dependence on fossil fuels, and protecting life and the environment. For additional information about DuPont and its commitment to inclusive innovation, please visit http://www.dupont.com.
# # #
STEMConnector® is a registered trademark of Diversified Search.